Sunday, December 28, 2014

Just for Me

This one's for me! 

You might have already guessed that I have a bit of a thing for spawning sockeye salmon ... I have worked on this theme from time to time over the past five years and never seem to tire of it. This art quilt has been created using hand dyed fabric by Judy Robertson. I love the vibrant red-purple pieces that I used for the salmon ... and the background piece made a gorgeous non-traditional watery setting. This is an art quilt that I started in a workshop with Catherine Nicholls over a year ago and Catherine really challenged me in the design and the four light sources on the rocks (and helped out when I couldn't see where those shadows should go!).  I'm not sure that I really got it right, but I loved the effect, once it was all quilted with watery blue variegated thread.

This measures approximately 30" square and is hanging over the fireplace in our living room.

3 comments:

Gayle Pulley paintedquilts said...

Love the colors and quilting, great pacific nw theme too. I can see why you are keeping it.

JM in Toronto said...

Great job, Kathy. I love the movement implied in the circling salmon!

Astrid said...

Gorgeous art quilt! Love the colors.