Sunday, August 20, 2017

Felting an eclipse

The finished piece!
Tomorrow (August 21, 2017) is the much anticipated total eclipse of the sun.  In my neck of the woods about 80% of the eclipse should be visible.  Today I decided that I would create a felted art quilt to commemorate this day . . .

I first selected some of the many beautiful pieces of wool roving that I have in my stash to create a background of dark blue with highlights of paler blue along with some gorgeous turquoise and orange.  This has been needle felted to a backing of cotton quilt batting.  I have just lightly covered the backing so that tomorrow...during the eclipse...I can spend the time adding the specialty fibres to represent the actual solar eclipse.
Selecting fibres

Initial layout of the background
The background has been lightly felted

I will be working at the Shuswap Artisan Market in Sorrento tomorrow (10am-4:30pm) and you can drop by and watch me add the details to create this piece.


No comments: